Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Red Quinoa "Tabouleh" Salad with Chic Peas



I  first experienced Lebanese cooking when I was in college just outside of Washington D.C. Having made friends with someone from Lebanon, he took me to a deli that served traditional Lebanese and Jordanian foods. I had never eaten tabouleh before nor had I ever seen parsley as much more than a garnish. Here, I found the salad consisted of mostly crisp parsley, fresh mint and spring onions, sprinkled with a little bulgur wheat in a dressing of lemon juice and olive oil. It was one of those first taste food experiences that I will always remember fondly.

Today, I live less than two hours from the capital but I am fairly certain there are few traditional Lebanese food offerings in my area.  When I make it at home, my version replaces bulgur with red quinoa and with more grain than I recall in the original, plus the addition of garbanzos (chickpeas), it has been bulked up for the makings of a lunchtime main course or an hearty dinnertime side. The addition of flaxseed oil sneaks in some heart and brain-healthy omega-3s without compromising flavor.

INGREDIENTS:

1 3/4 cup Quinoa, Red

1/3 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoon flaxseed Oil
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh chives or green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups parsley, fresh, roughly chopped
1 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
20 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 1/2 cups garbanzos or chicpeas, drained and rinced
1/3 cup feta cheese
 


1 – Prepare quinoa according to package directions. When thoroughly cooked, set aside and cool thoroughly.


2 – Make dressing by whisking together lemon juice, olive and flaxseed oils, lemon zest, ground pepper.

3 – In large bowl, toss quinoa, parsley, mint, green onions, tomatoes and chickpeas together.

4 – Stir in dressing and mix to thoroughly combine.

5 – Gently toss in feta being careful to not break up into little pieces.

6 – Chill in refrigerator for one to twenty-four hours before serving.




Nutritional info created using ingredient compilation program and is deemed close but not exact. 






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Lynn. I am going to make your version of this. Is it in your NutriMirror recipe log? I could pull it over when I make it if so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carla, and yes, it is in my recipe log. Right now I believe there are three versions because I made errors the first two tries around and haven't fixed my food logs yet to delet them. The correct one is the one that says "w/ chicpeas."

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete