Monday, June 21, 2010

Vanilla Quinoa Pudding with Blueberries



~ For One ~


It's late June and here in Maryland we had an early Spring that has resulted in early blueberries.  We've been eating them in, on and with just about everything for three weeks already. 

Recently, somebody asked me what could be done with leftover, unseasoned quinoa.  I usually cook a pot each week just to keep in the fridge for lunch or a quick dinner but today it cried out to me for breakfast.  Vanilla pudding was also on my mind so this morning I married the two for a delicious breakfast that really did the fresh blueberries proud.

With leftover quinoa in the fridge, this is ready in minutes to be eaten warm or you can allow it to cool in the refrigerator for a rice pudding consistancy. 


INGREDIENTS:

2/3 cup 1 % or 2 % milk
1 tablespoon kuzu starch  (or 2 teaspoons corn starch)
2 teaspoons turbinado (raw) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup cooked quinoa


1 - In saucepan, combine cold milk and kuzu starch.  Stir until disolved. 

2 - Add sugar and heat, slowly, stirring, until mixture has reduced by half and has begun to thicken. 

3 - Add vanilla extract and mix well to combine.

4 - Add quinoa and mix together to heat through.

5 - Top with fresh blueberries and eat immediately or refrigerate and eat within a couple of days.


And just check out the nutritional stats! This will boost those green logs and keep you full for hours.

Recipe makes one serving.  Per serving:


Nutritional Data calculated using ingredient compilation program and is deemed close but not exact.


2 comments:

  1. OMG. I made this as a treat for myself and it was amazing! I haven't cooked quinoa a lot, but after this experience I can see it being a stable in my kitchen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this last night, it was awesome and filling.

    ReplyDelete